Let’s say you’ve recorded many TV shows with TiVo and want to transfer them to your iPad (iPad Air, iPad Mini, the new iPad, iPad 4, etc.) for playback. No matter where you are, whenever it is, just take out the iPad from your handbag and enjoy your favorite TV programs or football matches freely! Nice idea, isn’t it? This article discusses an easy way to get TV shows off TiVo and converting the TiVo files to iPad supported video format.
As mentioned above, in order to enjoy TV recordings on iPad, you should transfer TiVo to your PC firstly and then convert TiVo shows to iPad compatible video formats. Here are the steps:
Step 1. Transfer TiVo recordings to PC or (laptop)
Transferring TiVo recordings to PC is easy and straight-forward. All you need is a freeware by TiVo – the TiVo Desktop. Connect the TiVo box with your home network, and run TiVo Desktop. Click on “Pick Recordings to Transfer”. Check the box next to the title of the show (or shows) you want to transfer and click on “Start Transfer”. Transfer times vary, but may be as long as the show’s duration to complete the transfer.
Step 2. Convert TiVo recordings to iPad compatible formats
There are many kinds of video converter software on market, yet few do convert TiVo files because all TiVo files are DRM protected. . One highly recommended program is Brorsoft TiVo Video Converter, which will remove DRM automatically while converting TiVo files to iPad Air (iPad mini 2, iPad 4, etc.) supported video format with fast speed and excellent output quality.
Editor’s Note: I use Brorsoft for coverting TiVo videos for my iPad Mini. It works very well and I haven’t really had any problems. Conversion speed seems fine and the videos look good on the iPad Mini. I saw Brorsoft mentioned in the TiVo forums as a good way to convert for the iPad so I decided to try it. It’s much better than TiVo’s converter. TiVo’s converters for mobile devices are terrible.
How to convert TiVo to iPad quickly and easily
1) Launch the TiVo HD Video Converter and press “Option” button. Switch to “TiVo” tab in Option window, and enter TiVo Media Access Key.
2) Then, click the Add button to import TiVo recordings to the TiVo convert tool for converting.
3) Click “Format” and select a target format. Choose your iPad model from the iPad category as the output format, which will remove all the incompatibility issue for you. Note that you can customize the settings for the output by specifying format and destination folder.
4) When everything is ready, simple click the big “Convert” button to start the TiVo to iPad conversion.
Step 3. Transfer the converted TiVo videos to iPad
Once you ascertain that the conversion is successfully completed, you can import the file anywhere you wish to even in the media player as long as the file is iTunes friendly. First, locate the output file where you have saved the videos. Then open the iTunes app so that you can import the output videos to it. This can be done by dragging and dropping the media file.
The process is simple all you need is:
- Step 1. Click “File” menu on the left side of iTunes toolbar
- Step 2. Choose the “Add File to Library” option
- Step 3. Open the output folder that contains the videos
- Step 4. Select the file and click “Open”.
After opening the file the will go to your iTunes and you can verify if the transfer has been successful by going to the iTunes library and typing the name of the file. If it is successfully transferred, A thumbnail of the video file will appear in your screen. If the transfer is successful you can further transfer the converted TiVo files to your iPod Touch, the new iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPad 2, iPhone 5S, iPhone 4S, Apple TV 3 and other portable devices and you can easily enjoy them everywhere you wish to.