“I need to import a WMV file into FCPX. Not possible (Apple shortsightedness). Okay, I need to convert the WMV into a FCPX-friendly format. A Google search brings up a ton of pay-for converters, but nothing free. What’s a good converter for this task. If I need to buy something, I’d prefer to buy only one application rather than strike gold on the 3rd or 4th purchase.”
WMV is a very popular video format developed by Microsoft. However, for Mac users, it’s a little bit head-scratching to edit WMV files with Final Cut Pro because its compatibility with Mac system is not very satisfying. However, you can convert WMV to a fully compatible format with FCP 6/7/X in order to import the Windows’ default format WMV to Final Cut Pro X for editing with any trouble. Along with some help from a third-party program like Brorsoft Video Converter for Mac, you can achieve your goal smoothly. Here is the entire progress.
First of all, free download the app here.
The Brorsoft program is a professional yet easy-to-use video conversion tool. With it, you can easily rewrap any video file like WMV, MKV, MOV, MP4, MKV, XAVC, MTS, and more to Apple ProRes codec, which ensures the best results when working with Final Cut Pro X and FCP 7, FCP 6. Besides, the utility also provides professional encoders like Apple Intermediate Codec, DNxHD, MPEG-2, etc. for using in iMovie, Avid, Adobe Premiere and more. So, what does the workflow look like?
Simple Steps to Import WMV files to Final Cut Pro
1. Launch the WMV to FCP Mac Converter, directly drag and drop the WMV files to the program. Batch conversion is supported, so you can load more than one file to save time.
Note: You can check the “Merge into one” box to merge several wmv video files together for easier editing.
2. Click the format bar, and move mouse cursor to “Final Cut Pro > Apple ProRes 422 (*.mov)” as output format.
3. Click “Convert” button to start the conversion process.
Now your WMV files will be converted into ProRes encoded .MOV files ready to imported into Final Cut Pro X or FCP 6/7 without any problem.
Some more helpful features of the WMV to FCP Converter for Mac:
1) Settings- click to set video resolution(1920×1080/1440×1080/1280×720/720×480), bitrate（from 1Mbps to 20Mbps）, frame rate (24p/30p)
2. Editor (next to “Add” icon)- click to set deinterlace, denoise, mute, volume up, trim, crop, etc.