“I would like to be able to play quicktime (.mov) files on my iPhone 7 but I get a message that my file cannot be played on this iPhone.”
While the iPhone supports MOV as an input format, it accepts the video only if it’s compressed with specific codecs and encoded at a precise framerate. Its resolution, bitrate and frequency also need to fall within a certain range. In this page, we share two workarounds to play MOV on iPhone 7 perfectly.
Method 1. Optimize MOV files with iTunes for iPhone 7
To ensure that you can transfer and play an MOV file on your iPhone, make use of iTunes’ built-in video encoder. If you distribute MOV files of product demos, marketing reels, business presentations and so forth, optimize the media for playback on the Apple iPhone.
1. Launch iTunes. Click the “File” tab on the program menu. Select “Add File to Library” and search for the MOV file in the file browser window. Select the file and click “Open” to import the media into iTunes.
2. Click the “Movies” tab on the Library menu. An inventory of all the videos stored within the iTunes library appears in the main program window. Select the listing for the recently imported MOV file.
3. Click the “Advanced” tab and select “Create iPod or iPhone Version.” ITunes optimizes the MOV file for playback on the iPhone and shows a confirmation message when it’s finished. The iPhone-compatible version of the MOV file is listed alongside the original video.
4. Turn on your iPhone and unlock the device if it’s protected with a passcode. Connect it to your computer with the USB transfer cable. An iPhone tab loads under the Devices menu when iTunes recognizes the connected smartphone.
5. Click the iPhone tab. A browser display of the device’s contents appears in the main program window.
6. Click the “Movies” tab in the browser display. Verify that the “Sync Movies” box is checked. Select the option if it’s not.
7. Click “Sync.” ITunes shows a confirmation message when syncing is finished and the iPhone-compatible version of the MOV file is stored on the device.
8. Tap the icon for the Videos app on your iPhone screen. Scroll through the list of stored movies and tap the entry of the iPhone-compatible version of the MOV file. The movie begins to stream on the device.
9. Control playback of the movie with the commands on the control bar overlay. When you’re done viewing, press the home button to exit the Videos app.
Method 2. Convert/Tweak MOV to iPhone 7 with 3rd party video converter
If you think the above way is a bit complex or doesn’t work for you, here is an alternative solution- Get the Best & Professional iPhone Converter- Brorsoft Video Converter
This MOV to iPhone video converter helps you to do the conversion efficiently and seamlessly. Using this tool, you don’t need to remember the suitable video parameters, like bit rate, frame rate, resolution, etc. for your iPhone model because it directly provides the optimized preset for it.
– Professional MOV to iPhone Converter: Converter MOV to iPhone compatible format, such as MOV, M4V and MP4. Also you can directly set iPhone presets as the output format.
– Extract Music From Movie: You can use it to extract music from your favorite movies in MP3 or AAC format. Then you can enjoy the music on your iPhone.
– Powerful Video Editing Tool: Just take this iPhone video converter to trim, crop, add effects to your WMV video before conversion.
– Supported OS: Windows XP/2003/Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8 and Windows 10 (32 bit & 64 bit), Mac OS X 10.13(macOS High Sierra), 10.12 (macOS Sierra), 10.11(El Capitan), 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7, 10.6, 10.5
Note: Below I’ll show you how to convert MOV files to iPhone on Windows step by step. If you want to convert MOV to iPhone on Mac, just download the Mac version and follow the workflow.
Converting MOV for playback on iPhone 7/iPhone 7 Plus
Step 1. Install and run iPhone 7 video converter. Click Add button to load .mov files from hard drive for converting. Or you can directly drag and drop the video files to the main window of this program. To merge several videos to one file, just tick “Merge into one file”.
Step 2. iPhone supports M4V, MP4 and MOV format. So in this step, you can choose one of them as the output format. Or you can directly select “iPhone” > “iPhone 6 H.264 Full HD 1080P(*.mp4)”. The preset could fit on iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus perfectly.
Tip: If the default settings do not fit you requirement, you can click “Settings” icon to and enter “Profile Settings” panel to adjust video size, bit rate, frame rate, sample rate and audio channels. Get the best video/audio settings for iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus.
Step 3. When you finish all settings, simply click the big Convert button on the bottom of the main window to start converting MOV to iPhone compatible formats. After the conversion, just sync and play videos on iPhoe 7, iPhone 7 Plus at your will.
Can’t Play MOV Files On LG TV? A Quick Fix
Guide on Converting MOV to MP4 with VLC
2 Easy Ways to Play MOV Files on Android Gadget
MOV File won’t Transfer to iTunes, iPad or iPhone?
Convert MOV to Plex Most Compatible Format for Playback